On a blistering Sunday morning, I was with my friend Mark at the base of a local mountain. Two novice hikers, in far more gear than was probably necessary, rearing to climb their first mountain together. It was only a ~3000 foot climb, but it was the idea of it that made it so intimidating.

We had done a few good areas in the local region prior, some difficult, some easy, with a lot of in between. There was always somewhere new nearby so we always felt motivated to “go again this week.”

There was an area just south of our city that had a double black diamond trail, and being the natural danger enthusiasts we were, we immediately planned a session to climb it.

So here we are, Mark and I, trekking up an incline that felt a lot like walking up steep stairs without the blissful convenience of any stairs. With sweat billowing forth from our bodies like an endless fountain in a dry desert, we pushed forwards for what felt like eternity. It was above 30 Celsius that day, so for northerners we might as well have been hiking in a dry desert.

20190729_145231-1

Mark and I usually had a few chats during these hikes. Sometimes about life, hobbies, cooking and family while other times we just rambled without any specific direction.

But always, we talked like family.

Family isn’t just your bloodline, it is those around you that are most important to your identity. Family are the people who influence who YOU are in their own special way. In interpersonal communications class we call these people “significant others,” which is accurate, but I prefer family.

20190728_155407-e1569628107859

Friendship can be a negative or positive force in your life and that really depends on the experiences the friendship is exposed to. So if you want to form valuable friendships that leave you smiling at their thought – initiate that positive experience.

Be the one to say, “Hey, lets go on a hike!”

Find your friendships by being somebody people WANT to be friends with.

Responses